Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Key To My Future.

So, I know most of you couldn't care less about the fashion industry, but I'm giving you a reason to: I just got accepted to the Phoenix Art Institute! {waving cassidi flag} but it's $7,000 a quarter. Completely impossible... But wait! There's more! I am applying for a full ride, all expenses paid scholarship for fashion merchandising, which is the degree I wanted to go for. All I have to do is revolutionize the fashion industry! So this is the first essay I wrote, it's my 'why i got involved with fashion and what i will do with my degree' thing.
Critique, please?
-Cass


In my life I have had many positive experiences regarding fashion.



My fashion story begins much the same as many others: For as long as I can remember, I have been playing dress up. When I was little, it was my older aunt’s prom dresses, mom’s heels, and grandmother’s pearls. As I have grown, it has morphed to dresses of my own, heels that are still too high, and costume jewelry that I would have squealed over as a little kid. However, I hope to see my fashion story continuing on where others have dropped off.



All through high school, I have been involved with the theatre. I have been able to see firsthand how even minor changes in a character’s costume can completely alter how they are perceived. Every detail works together to create an image that adds to the emotional and visual atmosphere of a play. I believe it works the same way with people in everyday life. By adding or removing an accessory, or using a different color scheme in an outfit, the image you send to people can be completely changed.



I had the opportunity to work at a bridal and formal wear shop my junior year in high school. I loved that experience! One of the lessons I learned there is that every girl who walked in was looking for ‘that dress’ for her prom, or wedding day. When you see someone put on the dress of their dreams, their entire countenance lights up, and it’s like Christmas. I loved helping people find that one dress, or that one tuxedo, that made their day, or in some cases, their whole life!



Like many young, independent women my age, I hope for a successful career where I can do something I truly enjoy along with make a living for myself and improving the lives of those around me. The fashion industry appeals to me for many reasons, one of which is its diversity. Staying true to yourself and promoting self expression is very important to me, and what better way to show people what you’re all about then a loud political tee, or a fun and flouncy print skirt? You can communicate so much by your appearance. If a picture is worth a thousand words, an outfit can be worth a thousand pictures. The ever broadening fashion horizon allows people to express themselves and their purposes more accurately than ever before. I enjoy helping others find ways to portray themselves through their outward appearance. Many people are plagued with apathy towards themselves and how others perceive them, but I believe if we make the world of clothing and fashion more user friendly, we will see people begin to care more about themselves. One of my own personal mantras is that red lipstick makes everything better, and I hope to see others come to the same awareness that one accessory, or a new dress can do wonders not only for your appearance, but your perception of yourself and your self worth as well.



Another interesting aspect of the fashion industry for me is the necessity. Everyone, whether they like it or not, will in one way or another be involved in fashion, either as a consumer, a producer, a wholesaler, or a retailer. Many of these consumers make their choices of wardrobes based on function versus fashion, because what we classify as ‘stylish’ is impractical. Most companies spend the bulk of their advertising budget on promoting clothing that is unattainable to the everyday consumer. High fashion magazines are fun to look at, but the average person walks away knowing they will never see that twelve thousand dollar dress on a lady in the grocery store.



I believe there is significant growth potential in the fashion markets if we bridge the gap between the sphere of high fashion and the marketable, livable daily wear of John and Jane Doe. Many people seem to think that if your day consists of cleaning the house and a trip to Wal*Mart; your best options are sweats. Well, I’d like to convince the world that’s not true! I want to help market clothing in a way that is affordable, wearable and yet still chic. By marketing clothing to the average, real person, whether that’s by modeling them on ‘life size’ models, or simply focusing on creating fashionable clothing that anyone can afford, we can expand our consumer population, increase sales, and get more variety in our styles.



I believe by finding a way to bridge the gap between the sphere of high fashion, and the practical, wearable attire of your average individual we will bring the market to people who thus far haven’t had much opportunity or interest in clothing. I hope to always be a part of this amazing movement.

1 comment:

Hair said...

Well, you had me hooked! Darn! I just want to go out shopping right now and make myself look good!

Now, in all seriousness: I actually was rather engaged by your essay, it was well written, in my humble opinion, and contain the smallest hint of persuasion, which in my opinion, again, is the best way to go about a persuasive essay. Maybe someone else will clue you in on some small fault i was unable to see, like Ms. Abel the english teacher.

Anyway, I really liked it and i hope that you get your full ride.