Thursday, October 16, 2008

a day in a life in a time in a place

I stood in the shower until the water got cold, and when it did I stood there some more. When I could no longer take it I shut the water off, and remained glued to the spot. My knees gave way and I crouched on the floor of the wet bathtub as the waves of sobs began. Unlike the tide, though, was the patternless repetition with which they came. I couldn't stay like this too long, and before I knew it I was standing again, leaning against the wall, still in the tub. I managed to stop the unrecognizable tears, mixed with the water that dripped from my hair, long enough to grab my towel. Of course, by this time I was already almost dry, but the warm towel was comforting. This didn't help to the extent that I felt better, and I found myself wrapped in the towel sitting on the edge of the bath tub, with a roll of toilet paper in my hands; obviously, I was making progress. When I finally stood up and put my glasses on, i was well adjusted to the temperature, so
I retreated to my room. There was no sollice there. I wanted to stop, I was done being upset, but I continued to shed tears. Still wearing only a towel, I set to work on the things that normally make me feel better. Five minutes later I was crying over my hot chocolate, wrapped up in my favorite blankets with my favorite teddy bears, rocking all my blues away.

No comments: