Thursday, October 9, 2008

You are like me but different

'Blue is like green but different.' Thats the kind of stuff he says. At first I thought it must be something he was picking up at school, maybe the other kids were saying this stuff too. So I talked to his teacher, and found out that he'd been acting strange like this in school as well. She said that it made the other kids laugh, so she thought that he was just trying to be the class clown. He was only in first grade, did he even understand the concept of class clown? I didn't think it was anything serious, of course, and I know there's nothing wrong with his strange behavior, but I jut had this feeling, you know? I just knew it was more than childlike silliness. I felt strange explaining this to his doctor, but what else could I do? That's when they tested him. He tested posative. They say he is 'special.' What the hell is that supposed to mean? He's my son, of course he's special, but it's more than that. Apparently it is considered a mental disability to be 'special'. Damn terminology. I still love him just the same, of course, but sometimes I wish I didn't know. Maybe it would be easier if I just thought he was silly. Or funny. Or normal.

No comments: